Antioxidants for wellnessAug 21, 2019
As we approach warmer months and leave winter behind, it is an ideal opportunity to nourish the body and optimise our nutritional status so we can make the most out of spring.
At this time of year, you may need to pay particular attention to:
What are antioxidants?
Antioxidants are a group of chemical compounds which help to protect the cells in the body from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are naturally produced by the body, and at a low level are not associated with causing any harm.
However, certain environmental factors (including smoking, prolonged exposure to ultra violet rays and following strenuous activities) significantly increase free radical production and may then cause damage to your body.(4)
Free radical damage is thought to be a risk factor for the development of serious medical conditions such as heart disease and cancer. Antioxidants also have a role in boosting immunity, which is particularly important during and after a period of illness. (1)
Where can I find antioxidants?
Antioxidants occur naturally in a number of foods including:
- Brightly coloured fruits and vegetables
- Eggs, meat and dairy
- Sunflower oil (1)
Sustagen® Optimum™ is also a source of beneficial antioxidants.
What is Sustagen® Optimum™?
Sustagen® Optimum™ is a nutritionally complete, powdered oral supplement that contains:
- Antioxidant vitamins C and E
- High quality protein
- Low lactose
- A source of zinc, vitamin B6, B12 and D which helps support immune function.
Why are probiotics important?
Probiotics help restore a healthy gut flora which is particularly important when recovering from bugs that cause diarrhoea(2).
Probiotics are live microorganisms known as ‘good bacteria’ that have been shown to help support a healthy gut. It is common to experience a temporary lactose intolerance during and after gastro illnesses, and therefore a low lactose diet may be required (3).
Sustagen® Optimum™ will provide you with a low lactose, nutritious top-up, helping to meet your nutritional needs while your body recovers.
Spring into spring with Sustagen® Optimum™.
(1) Antioxidants, Better Health Channel www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/antioxidants (accessed 13.6.19)
(2) Yan and Polk (2014) Probiotics and Immune Health; Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2011 Oct; 27(6): 496–501.
(3) Lactose intolerance, Better Health Channel www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/lactose-intolerance (accessed 13.6.19)
(4) Pharmacogn Rev. 2010 Jul-Dec; 4(8): 118–126