Is breakfast really the most important meal of the day?
Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day. But is that true? There is a large body of evidence demonstrating that regular breakfast consumption is linked to a variety of positive outcomes including:
- Improved mental wellbeing
- Less likely to be overweight
- Healthier food choices made for rest of the day
- Improved concentration and may aid learning1
Despite these benefits, skipping breakfast is still common, with insufficient time to eat breakfast being one of the top reasons why this meal is missed2.
What makes a healthy breakfast?
Breakfast is a time to break the overnight fast, kick start your metabolism and consume a nutritious meal including protein, carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins and minerals. Breakfast should provide around 20-35% of your total daily energy requirements, with low glycaemic index foods being the superior option3.
Why is glycaemic index important?
The glycaemic index is a ranking of carbohydrates according to how quickly they elicit a rise in blood sugar (glucose) levels. Low glycaemic index foods produce a smaller rise in blood sugar levels, providing a sustained source of energy and have been linked with reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease4.
Top tips to include breakfast every day:
- Set your alarm ten minutes earlier
- Prepare your breakfast the night before (such as overnight porridge oats in the slow cooker)
- Try one of our super SUSTAGEN Hospital Formula quick recipes such as our Banana Berry Smoothie https://www.sustagen.com.au/recipe/smoothies-banana-berry
Why does SUSTAGEN Hospital Formula plus Fibre give you a great start to your day?
SUSTAGEN Hospital Formula plus Fibre is:
• A nutritionally complete drink, which contains carbohydrates, protein and fibre.
• Packed full of essential vitamins and minerals – including iron and magnesium to help reduce fatigue and support energy function
• Low glycaemic index for sustained energy
• High in protein
• Available in a range of delicious flavours
• A great product to use in a variety of simple recipes – please visit our recipe page on the SUSTAGEN website for some ideas.
Start your day the SUSTAGEN way!
1 https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/breakfast Accessed 18/9/2019
2 Smith , K. et al. Skipping breakfast among Australian children and adolescence ; findings from the 2011-12 National Nutrition and Physical Activity Survey. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 2017; 41 (6) p572-578.
3 Tolfrey, K. and Zakrewski, J.K. 2012. Breakfast, glycaemic index and health in young people. Journal Sport and Health Science. 2012; p149-159.
4 http://www.glycemicindex.com/about.php Accessed 18/9/2019